ilava.co was designed to take long, unwieldy URLs and make them shorter. Short URLs don’t break in emails, they don’t waste your allotment of 140 characters in a tweet and they’re easier to use in Facebook posts.
With ilava.co, you simply enter your long URL and we’ll create a shortened version that you can use anywhere for as long as you’d like.
The basic functionality remains unchanged, but it is easier than ever to create a category for your link.
The basic steps are:
1. Mouse over the category button that best applies to the link you want to shorten:
- News – the URL will begin with 411ne.ws
- Music – the URL will begin with 4musi.ca
- Politics – the URL will begin with polit.ca
- Sports – the URL will begin with sprts.ca
- Drinks – the URL will begin with hops.cc
- Calgary – the URL will begin with yyc.mx
- Calgary’s Marda Loop area – the URL will begin with marda.tv
2. Cut and paste your long URL in the window.
3. Enter up to 10 characters to customize your URL. This will appear at the end of your custom link. For example: if you choose the NEWS category and enter SNOW as the desired URL, the result will be 411ne.ws/SNOW.
4. To generate the URL, enter the code “g4small” in the code box. This helps us prevent spammers taking advantage of our free service.
5. Click the “Get Short URL” button.
6. Your custom and much shorter URL appears below. Simply copy it and start using it anywhere you want.
While the ilava.co URL shortener may be used by anyone, anywhere in the world, there are some uses that are not permitted:
- Creating links to pornography
- Creating links to sites promoting hatred and/or violence towards any group of people. You can, however, make links to politicians and political parties.
- Creating links to spam and other online scams
- Creating links to other URL shortening domains